Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Required Reading

My law school hasn't sent out our syllabus with the book list, first day assignments, etc., but some of the other schools that I was considering published "suggested" reading lists. The "suggestion" is polite way of "requiring" that students read long lists of books that are supposed to prepare students for law school. I know that with only a month to go until I start school there's no way that I can read 30+ books, as well as pack up my household for a long-distance move. I decided to begin with the most popular books that sound at least a little interesting. We'll have to see how many books I actually finish before classes begin in August. There are so many non-law books that I want to read before i start living in the library and have to spend 23 hours a day reading case books! I love reading for fun, not having time to read for fun this year is going to be so hard!!

I started my "suggested" pre-law readings with The Buffalo Creek Disaster. . It is surprisingly good! It's about a disaster in coal-mining town in the 1970's and how the victims sued the mining company. It moves fast and explains the litigation process without being to complex. I finished it in a day and a half!

Next up is either biography of Holmes or The Supreme Court by Rehnquist.

Then again I'm really wanting to read Dispatches from the Edge by Anderson Cooper or a fun fiction. Suggestions?

No comments: