Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Not quite High School

I remember back in high school, the teachers gave us a summer reading list and first day assignments to go with them. Usually it was the night before school was starting and all my friends were trying to guess which book we'd start the semester with. Praying we pick the right book, we stayed up all night reading and then writing our journal assignments. Then we got to school and, in all the excitement of seeing all our friends again, promptly forgot anything we had read the night before. Law school is a little different, there's a little more pressure and expectation that you will actually read the assigned books, before the night before classes start.

My first day assignments are posted and the booklists are out. Classes start in 3.5 weeks and I'm already ahead in Civ Pro :-) Woooot, summer reading didn't fail me! Buffalo Creek Disaster is part of the 1st day assignment and our text is Glannon's Civ Pro E&E! Of course I still have LEEWS to finish and Delaney's Learning Legal Reasoning to finish. I haven't started 1L so I don't know if any summer prepping did any good, but it calmed my nerves and kept the boredom at bay. This is not to say that I followed the Planet Law School 1 year prep (that guy is crazy!) I took the advice of 2Ls and 3Ls and enjoyed myself during my last summer of freedom. I partied, I travelled, I drank a lot of wine, and I slept. But at the office, the mornings are soooooo boring and when I got hired my boss made an exception to the rule for me and we agreed that I could read instead of staring off into space for 3 hours, so long as it was reading for school! No Cosmo or US Weekly, whatever I was reading had to be school related. So I skimmed the E&Es for Civ Pro and Torts, skipped Criminal (bored me to tears, hopefully there's a better Crim hornbook out there!), and then I started reading the "suggested" summer reading list from the law school. Ok, so it sounds like I did a lot of prep, but I promise I'm not the gunner!!!!! Instead, I'm the nerd who loves to read (even if I don't completely understand what I'm reading) and I'm the girl who hates to be bored so I always have a book on hand.

Ok, I think I need to go sit by the pool with the girls, drink a margarita, and open up a really trashy novel!

Cheers!!

1 comment:

Matt said...

i've been reading your blog and noticed that you've tried leews...did it help you out, and did you go over it twice or what?